Matter is anything that occupies space and has mass. Everything that exists in this universe is matter. The matter is made up of tiny particles known as atoms. It is usually found in 3 states(solid, liquid &gas).
Properties Of Matter
1) Matter is made up of particles:-
Matter is made up of small particles known as atoms. These atoms join together to form molecules .
2) Particles of matter have space between them:-
Particles of matter have space between them which is known as intermolecular space.
3)Particles of matter attract each other:-
Every particle of matter applies an attractive force on other particles. This means that every particle of matter pulls the other particle toward itself. This force of attraction is known as inter-molecular-force of attraction.
4)Particles of matter are in continuous motion:-
Particles of matter move continuously. The particles of matter move because they have kinetic energy.
States Of Matter
Matter is found generally in 3 stages at room temperature i.e. solid, liquid & gas. There are other two states of matter known as the BEC (Bose-Einstein condensate) and plasma. The states of matter usually depend on:-
- The intermolecular force of attraction.
- Inter-molecular space.
- It is the state of matter with highest inter-molecular force and lowest intermolecular force of attraction.
- The particles of solid have very low kinetic energy that is why they don't move. They vibrate at their own place.
- Solids have a fixed shape and volume.
- It is the state of matter with moderate (between that of solid and liquid) intermolecular force and molecular force of attraction.
- The particles of solid have moderate kinetic energy, they can move.
- Liquids have a fixed volume but not a fixed shape.
- It is the state of matter with lowest intermolecular force and highest intermolecular force of attraction.
- The particles of solid have very high kinetic energy.
- Gases don't have a fixed shape and volume.
Enjoy your high school with - High School Pedia : www.highschoolpedia.com
Post a Comment